Monday 25 April 2011

Faith like Avocados

Since I was child I liked growing things and watching them grow. I worked in the garden with my mother. The first tree I remember growing was an Avocado.

The simplicity in this is what fascinated me, because by placing the Avocado pit with three tooth picks and halfway in water it will start to develop roots. I liked following the progress, as the pit splits and a root comes out and then the top side comes out with the first set of leaves.

I had two of them growing and when they were finally big enough we planted them out in the garden. Shortly after that we went on holiday, but my father could not come with so we asked him to water them. Can’t remember how long we were away or were we went, but when we came back both trees were dead. I was quite upset and found out that my father forgot to water them.

Now what happened to me there was that I made a connection to the avocado tree as being fragile, and since then there was anxiety within me when working with plants and trees. I became overly protective, because I didn’t want them to die.

As well as a connection to my father that I can’t trust him with a task like this. These were unconscious thoughts and happened in that one moment and I lived by that even now as I’m writing this. I never saw this before.
I didn’t try and grow another avocado tree after that, but it was still my favorite
.
I did try once again after about 10 years and had ended up having a 2m high avocado tree, but had to move so I never saw it grow bigger. I did go back a to check up on it, but the new owners had it cut down. Lol. I was a bit angry at that.

Before we came to the farm I had another go at three Avocado pits. One died of shock soon after planting. Another died of carelessness and being accidentally cut by a grass cutter.
And one Still remains and is growing steadily standing about 1.2m high.

Here on the farm we have lots and lots of fruit trees. We wanted to grow lots of avocado, but fascinating enough, they all died save for one.
If I look at my experience with fruit trees I had that anxiety every time I worked with them – overly careful when pruning, always afraid of giving to much water and not enough water - because I saw them as fragile and didn’t want them to die. If someone else did something to the tree without me knowing about it I would get very angry at that person. I saw the trees as my trees and as long as I know what’s going on I have control.

For 16 years that single event dictated how I will interact with trees. And it was an idea, a perception, a believe according to my current understanding when I was young.

This is so for many points in our lives. We live according to how we programmed ourselves when we grew up. And it is not supportive.
With the Desteni I Process I see these points. Look at events on my life and how it has affected my daily living and then reprogram myself to stop it dictating my life and directing me.

Then I become the director in my life by writing my own script.

1 comment:

  1. cool i always loved growing and i grew e.g. peppers and i liked the process of development. currently we have cherry tomatoes and peas and pea is very cool expression how they are supporting each other with their thin "tentacles". If they do not co-operate they know air will break them.

    ReplyDelete